By participating in the 2018 Convention, you will have a unique opportunity to up your AFSCME game.
At the new Rise Up Institute, you will learn how to communicate effectively, mobilize your co-workers, gain leverage to achieve great contracts, and more. The institute will offer four learning tracks to help us become a stronger union in 2018 and beyond. Delegates, alternates and guests will gain the tools they need to return home ready to fight.
During registration, sign up for one of the four tracks. These tracks consist of several core classes that you can choose from during the convention week.
- Organizing – A strong union begins with effective organizing. Learn about the power of one-on-one conversations with your co-workers to grow and strengthen your union. Improve your union’s communication structures to work against bias and learn how to solve workplace problems through issue organizing.
- Political and Legislative – The current political climate offers incredible opportunities for mobilizing union members. Learn how to become a better advocate for public service workers, connect the dots between economic inequality and race inequality, and win in the era of Trump.
- Communications – Effective communications will be more important than ever as we fend off attacks against our union. Learn how to inoculate union members in a post-Janus environment to ward off deceptive messaging from anti-worker special interests. Learn new communications tips and tools that will help your local cut through the noise, plan smartly to communicate effectively, and use the AFSCME brand to get your message across.
- Representation – Building the strongest union possible will require strong stewards. Get the most out of your activist skills by learning how to speak up effectively, fight back and build power. Learn how to help your union gain leverage to achieve great contracts.
Participants who enroll in the institute will select one area in which to earn a certificate. Each certificate track includes three core courses, with additional electives to choose from.
Elective courses include:
- Leadership development
- Organizing by work sectors
- Strategy and planning sessions
Newly trained activists will be honored during a graduation ceremony on the final day of the convention.