AFSCME affiliates and retiree chapters from around the country were honored Thursday for their commitment to lifting the voices of working families at the ballot box.
Ron Barber of Local 1482, District Council 37 (New York), presented this year’s Power to Win PEOPLE Fundraising Awards.
“We know the reason many members don’t contribute to PEOPLE is that they haven’t been asked,” Barber said. “Let’s have those conversations. Let’s talk about PEOPLE in the workplace, in union meetings, and when we knock on doors. We must connect the dots between the candidates we support and the policies that make our communities stronger.”
All affiliates and retiree chapters are urged to follow the lead of this year’s winners, who embody what it means to make our union AFSCME Strong – organizing, educating and mobilizing public service workers to build the power to win and make our communities stronger for everyone.
Here are this year’s winners:
- Council 28 (Washington state)
- United Nurses of California/Union of Health Care Professionals (UNAC/UHCP)
- Ohio Association of Public School Employees (OAPSE)
- United Domestic Workers (UDW)
- Council 5 (Minnesota)
- Ohio Civil Service Employees Association (OCSEA)
- Council 13 (Pennsylvania)
- District Council 37 (New York)
- Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA)
- Council 31 (Illinois)
- Washington Retiree Chapter 10
- HGEA Retiree Chapter 152
- DC 37 Retirees Association
- Illinois Retiree Chapter 31
- CSEA Retiree Chapter 1000 (New York state)